WHAT IT IS?
Before the pandemic, IKEA Utrecht introduced a new way of having job interviews. They give you the option to apply at home. The candidate can choose if they want to go to IKEA Utrecht or just be in their familiar environment. “People shows the best version of themselves when they feel at home” (IKEA, 2019). The choice is up to the applicant.
“People shows the best version of themselves when they feel at home.”
WHY IT´S COOL?
- This idea of having an online job interview was made before the pandemic. That shows that IKEA already saw the possibilities of using online technologies for job interviews.
- Home interviews also bring the benefits of cost saving, less traffic and less emission.
- It shows that we may have been pushed/forced by the pandemic to make this the new way of communicating. It was already the future; however, the future came earlier then we expected.
- This change could have a huge impact on women. They are more likely to adjust their careers for family than men.
- Scandinavian countries are known as well developed. This has been proven again. We should take Scandinavian countries has our role model.
WHY IT HAS FUTURE GROWTH POTENTIAL?
This way of using digital technologies, gives us the possibility to choose. Do we prefer to stay home, or do we prefer to meet face to face? This question won’t only be for job interviews but also for meeting and work in general.
“Long-term flexibility could be here to stay.”
With many people being forced to work from home, long-term flexibility could be here to stay. It also allows women to balancing their careers with family (Elise Gould, senior economist at the Economic Policy Institute). This distant flexibility will also allow companies to “save money on the overhead cost of running these massive facilities” career coach Julie Kratz.
Connley, C. A. H. (2020, April 30). 13 ways the coronavirus pandemic could forever change the way we work. Retrieved May 13, 2020, from https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/29/how-the-coronavirus-pandemic-will-impact-the-future-of-work.html
IKEA Utrecht solliciteren bij kandidaten thuis. (2019, November 7). Retrieved May 13, 2020, from https://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/this-is-ikea/newsroom/07-11-2019-ikea-utrecht-introduceert-solliciteren-bij-kandidaten-thuis-pubf2ae7ea0